We think it is a good idea to bring the OD community tightly together. That means — we want to create a formal organization, an NGO. Finns have done it well, they established a chapter of Open Knowledge Network. This model of formalized activity has brought quick results in getting more data open, launched more exciting and international projects, and created visible active movement in Finnish OD community.
Open Knowledge International and network is an organization whose mission is to promote — yes, you´ve guessed it! — open knowledge. They are using advocacy, technology and training to unlock information and enable people to work with it to create and share knowledge. They see open knowledge as a mainstream concept, including using, sharing and innovating with data/information.
The initiators are getting together on October 27th, starting 18.30 at the SpeakSmart seminar room, at Telliskivi 60A (4th floor). You are most welcome!
The aim is to discuss and decide the structure and agenda for an organization that…
- will unite data users, creators and re-users, their groups and networks to promote common interests and support common initiatives;
- will collect and share local and international practices;
- will act as a critical and professional partner for decision-makers in developing the Open Data and Open Knowledge scene in Estonia;
- Will be the watchdog for an open information society, acting towards the goals shared by Open Knowledge network organizations;
- (etc — may be something that you want to achieve so come and share.)
Maarja-Leena Saar, email@example.com
Henri Laupmaa, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hille Hinsberg, tel 56 473 193, email@example.com
Tanel Mällo, firstname.lastname@example.org
Märt Põder, tel 55 643754, email@example.com